Wednesday, November 11, 2009

eating your greens


Lately in my meals, I've really sought out the look of a plate as well as the taste.

My great-grandmother, Bebe, had a rule about food. She used to say, "There should always be something green on your plate." And she was right! In fact, in most occasions, your plate should be full of bright colors! Not only does it boost your mood because of its pleasing aesthetic appearance, you're probably getting some great nutrients--plus, if it looks good, it usually tastes great! Yesterday I enjoyed bright green stuffed peppers-yum!

In the South, eating your greens usually refers to collards (which I also love), but a little something green every day really isn't hard to do. A good green to always have on hand to enhance the shade of any meal is lettuce. Other quick green options can come in the frozen, non-perishable variety: sugar snap peas and edamame are some of my favorite frozen greens to go with a meal.

Today's green: spinach speghetti. A way to still get a little green with a bowl of comfort food:) And using the leftover sauce from the stuffed peppers means lunch was ready in the few minutes it took for the noodles to cook--even better!

What are some of your favorite "greens"???

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I think green beans are some of my favorites...they smell good when cooking and taste good after they are done.

Sarah&Jason said...

I concur, Kyle.